Beneva needs to hear from you BETWEEN JULY 1 and SEPTEMBER 30, 2023 in order to ensure your dependent students have active benefits for the school period of August 15, 2023—September 30, 2024.
It is your individual responsibility to update your overage dependents' student status annually (July 1 – September 30) by logging into the Beneva Client Centre to ensure benefits are active.
From there, active dependents who are overage (21-25) will have a graduation cap next to their name which allows members to update the status for the new calendar year (e.g., 2023-2024). If the child currently attends post-secondary full-time, members may continue coverage by notifying Beneva in the following ways:
- Login to the Beneva Client Centre
- Click the Top Right Drop-Down Menu
- Select Group Insurance
- Click the General Information Tab Drop-Down Menu
- Select Dependents
- From there, active dependents who are overage (21-25) will have a graduation cap next to their name which allows members to update the status for the new calendar year (e.g., 2022—2023)
- By calling Beneva (1-888-651-8181) and letting a representative know your child is still a full-time student in post-secondary.
Members can update student status after July 1 if they are not yet 21 years old but will be, say in the next few months.
Emails are sent out to the member by Beneva when a dependent is going to be turning 21 (a few weeks before the birthday), or when already existing student information is about to expire in August.
Once a dependent reaches the max dependent age (usually 21 but can vary by policy) and they are not updated on the system as a student, reminder emails are no longer sent.
The study period:
- A whole school year goes from August 15 of the current year to September 30 of the following year
- A Fall session only goes from August 15 of the current year to January 31 of the following year
- A Winter session only goes from January 1 of the current year to September 30 of the following year